Skip to main content

Protecting the Canal since 1954

Chesapeake & Ohio Canal Association is an independent, all-volunteer citizens organization established in 1954 to help conserve the natural and historical environment of the C&O Canal and the Potomac River Basin. The association works with the National Park Service in its efforts to preserve and promote the 184-mile towpath.
Learn More
Join us

Upcoming Events (see full calendar)

Comments Box SVG iconsUsed for the like, share, comment, and reaction icons

A view across the Potomac River at the former site of Dam #3 that served the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal upstream from Harper's Ferry.
Remnants of this dam can be seen in this area that paddlers sometimes refer to as "The needles" because navigating can be line threading a needle through fabric.
The Potomac River was first dammed here in 1799 to supply water to the Harper's Ferry Armory. It was rebuilt in 1809 and 1820. It was known as the "Government Dam" and required frequent repairs.
The C&O Canal originally intended to build its third dam below the confluence with the Shenandoah River, but by the time it reached Harper's Ferry in 1833, it ran into financial difficulties. The federal government allowed the canal to use water from the existing dam.
The canal was abandoned in 1924, and canal boats loaded with rocks were intentionally sunk above the dam to help divert water to the power canal on the West Virginia side.
... See MoreSee Less

10 hours ago

C&O Canal Association

Chesapeake and Ohio Canal at the Maryland Heights and Harper's Ferry ... See MoreSee Less

Chesapeake and Ohio Canal Lock 34, also known as Goodheart's Lock, near Harper's Ferry along the Potomac River.
The lock is made of limestone except a few red sandstone blocks that were likely replacements after flooding.
The lock house was of brick construction on stone foundation, and sat on the berm side, but was washed away in the 1936 flood.
The last lock tendervwas Willard "Coon" Goodheart, who was still living in the lock house despite the fact that the canal closed in 1924.
Goodheart had moved belongings to the second floor, including chickens, but the building began to buckle under pressure. Goodheart escaped by boat just before collapse.
The canal east of here is built on the Patowmack Company Long Canal constructed in the 1780s around the rapids.
... See MoreSee Less

Load more