Association publishes updated edition
of C&O Canal NHP
of C&O Canal NHP Handbook
Order your copy now
Using your credit card
or PayPal account
(Note: A PayPal account isn't required.If you wish to pay by check,
A credit card will work just fine.)
use our mail order form.
|Cover of the handbook|
Twenty-four years have passed since the original publication of the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal Official National Park Handbook. Now, thanks to a partnership between the C&O Canal Association and the C&O Canal National Historical Park, fans of the canal can enjoy a new version.
Official national park handbooks are are a series of reasonably priced user guides that provide historical background, descriptive details, and visitor information.
This modern update of the popular 1991 handbook checks in at 132 pages – 20 pages longer than the original. It retains all of the informative illustrations and historical photographs of the original, with many updates and additions, including:
- Revised text to reflect recent research about the canal’s history.
- Features reflecting the improvements to the park’s recreational and interpretive opportunities.
- Revised photographs that show the present-day canal features.
- Updated maps that reflect revisions to the park, nearby trails, and access routes.
Teamwork produced this new volume. The park wanted to update the handbook, but faced budgetary constraints. The association presented a proposal to modernize and update the book on a volunteer basis. Key contributors were:
- Steve Dean, the association newsletter editor, took on the role of producer, shepherding the book to completion.
- Karen Gray provided text updates and historical corrections.
- Dward Moore used his skills to locate images and verify data.
- Dan Filer, the park’s Partnerships Coordinator, supplied motivation and support.
If you have questions about purchasing the handbook, please email our sales committee at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Click below to see a two-page sample of this quality publication: